Thousands of people get hurt in slip and falls every year. Often times these occur in places of business, such as grocery stores, retails stores, health care facilities and more. The aftermath of these type of non-work related accidents can be overwhelming, worrisome, and costly. Here, we provide you seven steps to take if you are a victim in a slip and fall accident.
- Get pictures. I know, the last thing any person is concerned about when injured is taking pictures at the scene of the injury. However, photos can be an important piece of evidence, as well as, an important tool for your attorney in evaluating the viability of your case. If your slip and fall was the result of a defect, and you did not get pictures that day, return to the property and take pictures.
- Report the injury. Many times, when a person slips and falls in a store, they are embarrassed. They just get up, in pain, and go there way to try and get out of the store quickly. Don’t do that. Report the injury to the manager or property owner. Property owners or managers must be made aware of the injury. Report it. Ask for an incident report after you report the injury. Get the name of the manager or employee you spoke with to report the injury. Get the name of any witnesses.
- Call Mooney & Associates. Call us right away. Call us at 717-200-HURT. It is important that you contact us right away so we can guide you through the process and advise on what documents and forms to sign, and what not to. Personal injury consultations with Mooney & Associates are FREE. We will look at the circumstances and evaluate your case to determine if you have a viable case. If so, you will be given a contingency fee agreement, which means, we do not get paid unless you get paid!
- Do not talk to Insurance Company. Tall to Mooney & Associates first. We can provide advice and guidance. Recorded statements are meant to restrict and box you in. Talk to us first. Protect yourself.
- Treat. Seems simple. It is important when you are hurt in a slip and fall to seek medical treatment. Follow your doctors treatment protocol. Proper diagnosis is critical to getting your feeling better and recovered. Keep notes and track your pain and treatment, it is critical for settlement evaluation. Keep treatment information, like medical records, bills, insurance explanation of benefits forms, receipts, and more.
- Account for losses. Keep an accounting of losses you incurred, such as deductibles paid, medical bills paid, prescriptions paid, and any other expenses you had to incur because of your accident. Provide them to your attorney.
- Document changes. Document changes you had to undergo, such as, things you have been restricted form doing, like hobbies, due to the injuries you suffered. Document any wage loss you may have incurred due to the injuries. Write it down, whatever you feel. Keep a good injury and recovery journal.
Slip and falls are unfortunately too common. Make your life and your case easier. Follow these seven steps and protect yourself.
Mooney & Associates had 14 offices through South Central Pennsylvania. That is for your convenience. We bring our law firm close to you. Simply call us at 717-200-HURT to schedule a FREE CONSULTATION.