Common Postal Worker Injuries in Federal Workers Comp
U.S. Postal Workers are frequent victims of work-related injuries, mostly due to the nature of their jobs. Of all Federal Government employees, US Postal Workers we see the most with on the job work injuries.
As you can read here, Federal Government employees can not file workers compensation claims through the regular state workers compensation systems, like all other non-Federal employees. The Federal Government has its own unique Workers Compensation system.
Here are the common injuries we see among Postal Workers.
- Mail carriers deliver mail right to individual homes. Those homes have dogs. You know the deal. Dog bites can be down right serious. It can be frequent as well. In fact, the United States Postal Service released a report on March 11, 2016 that indicated there were 6,549 dog attacks on mail carriers. You can see in this release dog bites by cities. Philadelphia had the 7th highest rate in the United States. These type of injuries can likely also lead to Third Party claims for the injured worker. Our office can help with the third party lawsuit as well.
- Slip and Falls are another significant mechanism of injury among postal workers. This include mail carriers and sorting center employees. Mail carriers are out delivering the mail in all elements. That includes in snow and ice and after snow and ice storms. Slip and falls generally increase during winter months as a generality. The postal service is no different. Individual property landscape and issues such as tall grass, barriers, limbs, and other obstructions can contribute to work accidents among mail carriers. Included in this also is slip and falls on stairs and steps. These type of injuries may also lead to a Third Part claim for injured workers against a homeowner or property owner. Our office can help with the third party lawsuit as well.
- Lifting, Pushing, Pulling, and Carrying injuries are also frequent among postal workers. Obviously, postal workers are handling pushing, pulling, lifting, and carrying packages of all different weights. That sometimes leads to back, neck, shoulder, knee, or other type of injuries.
- Auto Accidents can be another frequent mechanism of injury among postal workers. Postal workers do not just deliver mail by ground, but also by care. That can lead to motor vehicle accidents, which can be devastating. These type of claims also lead to third party motor vehicle accident claims for injured workers. Our office can help with the third party lawsuit as well.
- Overexertion/Aggravation injuries can be frequent among post workers. Day in and day out, postal workers are handling various weights and performing duties that are highly repetitive in nature. Doing the same task over and over can harm muscles, nerves and tendons. These type of repetitive tasks often times cause awkward body postures and positions which can further damage and aggravated, otherwise, dormant physical conditions.
This certainly is not an exhaustive list of injuries that occur to Postal Workers, but it is a list of common type injuries. Our office represents ALL injured Federal Government employees, including US Postal Workers. If you are an injured Federal Government employee and you have been hurt on the job and OWCP has denied your claim or is attempting to end your claim, call Mooney & Associates today to speak to our Workers Compensation attorney. Call us today at 717-200-HURT or 1-877-632-4656. You can also email us directly at the email address listed on the right sidebar under Business Contacts.